Clear the Clutter in Your House
If getting your home organized is on your list of resolutions this year, these five tips from professional organizer Claire Tompkins (check out her blog at http://cluttercoach.net) will get you started:
1. Scale back expectations. Start small and be realistic in what you want to accomplish. Devote a little time each day to one area of your house until it’s organized to your satisfaction.
2. Designate areas in your home for keeping your bills, school paperwork, or other necessary paperwork. Sort piles of paperwork from the bottom up (the older stuff will likely be past its usefulness).
3. Place a big basket behind the couch where you and the kids can stash any toys left around until you have time to really put them away.
4. When sorting your belongings, ask yourself, “Do I love it? Do I need it?” If the answer is “no” to both, toss it.
5. Do a little bit of straightening every day, rather than face a mountain of mess when Saturday morning arrives. Even five minutes will make a big difference.