Poisonous Plants to Humans and Pets

Having plants is common in and outside just about every home. Most plants are perfectly safe, but there are plants that poisonous to children and animals. For your family’s safety, take a look at the poisonous plants to humans and pets below. If ingested, seek immediate medical attention.


Angels Trumpet – All parts of this plant are toxic. If any part of this flower is eaten, it can cause hallucinations. The flowers have been known to appeal to young children.

– They are also known as flamingo flowers or pigtail plants and are definitely toxic. If they are eaten, you will experience a painful burning sensation in your mouth. You may develop blisters and swelling inside of your mouth. You may have difficulty swallowing and your voice may become horse. Most of the symptoms will fade over time. Cold liquid, pain pills and licorice have been known to bring relief to these symptoms.

– These beautiful signs of spring have been known to be mildly toxic if eaten in a large quantity. Sometimes, they can be confused for an onion. Symptoms are nausea, vomiting, cramps and diarrhea.

– Foxgloves tends to grow up to three feet with beautiful, drooping flowers.  Its Latin name is Digitalis which is also the name of a familiar heart drug. The leaves of the plant are used to make the drug. If the leaves are ingested you will feel nausea, cramps and even pain in your mouth. It may cause vomiting and diarrhea. You may also have heart problems.  A doctor should be notified immediately to pump your stomach and bring your heart rate back to normal.

– This is a common flower that can grow up to 15 feet tall. They come in many different colors. If the flowers are eaten, a few hours later you will experience stomach pain, itchy skin, vomiting, sweating and weakness. Some may even experience convulsions.

Lilly of the Valley
– They are also known as Mayflowers. This entire plant is poisonous! If a small piece of the plant is ingested you will not have extreme symptoms and pain. If a lot is ingested, you can experience nausea, vomiting, mouth pain, stomach pain, cramps and a slow heart rate.

- The whole plant is poisonous. If you are having a fire pit and roasting marshmallows, make sure that sticks are not from the Oleander plant. Inhaling the smoke will still cause symptoms.  If ingested, there will be a change in heart rate and high potassium levels.

– If you or your children are handing a Poinsettia, handle with care because the sap is a known skin irritant. If the leaves or seeds are eaten, it can cause delirium.

Rhododendrons and Azalea Bushes
– They are beautiful in the springtime and can be found in many yards in the neighborhood. The leaves and honey are very toxic. If any is ingested, you will experience mouth burning, vomiting, tingling in the skin, headaches, weak muscles, dim vision and a change in heart rate.

Sago Palm
– This is one of the oldest living plants on the planet. They say it has survived so long because animals do not eat it (if yours does, call the vet immediately). The entire plant is toxic, even down to the bottom of the root. Ingesting it will cause vomiting, diarrhea and it can even lead to liver failure.

–Wisteria is a beautiful plant that has blue, pink, or white flowers. The flower mainly grows in the South or Southwest. The seeds and pods inside of the plant can cause gastric pain and vomiting if they are eaten.  

Check Out Poisonous Plants for Pets on the Next Page!&pagebreaking&

Poisonous Plants for Pets

– Aloe can be a great plant for treating burns but if it is ingested by your family pet, they will experience many different symptoms.  Aloe contains Saponins which is toxic to dogs and cats. Some of the signs will be change in urine color, vomiting, depression and diarrhea.

– This is a common plant around Easter. The toxins in Amaryllis will cause vomiting, hyper salivation, depression, abdominal pain and even anorexia.

Apple Trees
– Apple trees as well as crab apples can be extremely toxic to household pets.  The stems, leaves and seeds contain cyanide. When the tree starts to wilt is when it is extremely toxic. Your pet will experience trouble breathing, panting and dilated pupils.

Autumn Crocus
– This is extremely harmful to pets due to it containing colchicum autumn ale. If your pet ingests it, the symptoms will show as oral irritation, blood when vomiting, diarrhea, multi organ damage and could result in bone marrow suppression.

Castor Bean
– It contains Ricin, which is a highly toxic protein. It can cause stomach pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Depending on how much is consumed, it can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and even death.

– Even though this is a popular and beautiful flower, it contains pyrethrins. If ingested, pyrethrins can cause many symptoms, such drooling, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of coordination.

– It contains a high amount of Cyclamine in the root of the plant. Make sure it is not consumed because it can cause many symptoms, such as gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting.

– Daisy’s are a common flower but can be harmful to dogs and cats. They contain the toxins sesquiterpene, lactones and pyrethrins. Ingesting part of a daisy can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyper salivation, coordination issues and dermatitis.

– They are also known as the Rose of Sharon or the Rose of China. If a hibiscus is ingested, it can be extremely toxic to dogs, cats and even horses. There is an unknown toxin in the flower that causes vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and even anorexia.

– Known for the serious heart affects, it should not be ingested.  The plant contains poisonous components that are toxic to the heart and will cause serious cardiac rhythm and rate issues, as well as gastrointestinal problems. Make sure to keep your family pet away to ensure it does not eat it.

- Lilies are highly toxic to cats. Even if a small amount is ingested, it can still cause irritation and symptoms that can lead to severe kidney damage.  Make sure to keep them away from your cat.

– This plant contains calcium oxalate crystals that will cause oral irritation if it is ingested. You can expect drooling, vomiting, and burning and irritation of your pet’s mouth, lips and tongue.

- The bulb of the tulip contains toxins that should not be ingested by your pet.  If a bulb is ingested, symptoms can be drooling, loss of appetite, depression, convulsions, cardiac abnormalities and gastrointestinal irritation.

– Yew contains Taxine which is extremely toxic to pets. If it is eaten, it can cause central nervous system effects, such as difficulty breathing, coordination issues and cardiac failure. 


2 Reviews
South Bend, IN
Highly Informative Information on Poisonous Plants

Highly Informative Information on Poisonous Plants. I would recommend everyone who has children and pets read it. .

May 2021

Did you find this review helpful?

Thaddeus Macfire
Best info I've read in a while!

Wow! Very informative and interesting!!! Thank you!!!

April 2021

Did you find this review helpful?


09 Jan 2015

By Boston Parents Paper