2013 Holiday Events
What would the holidays be without the feasts for the eyes provided by beautifully decorated Christmas trees? Enjoy the lights, trees and decorations at one of these ongoing holiday events.
• Family Trees, through Jan. 1, 9am – 5pm, Concord Museum, 200 Lexington Road, Concord. Admire the many incredibly decorated trees inspired by classic and contemporary storybooks. Adults, $15; children, $6. 978-369-9763; concordmuseum.org.
• ZooLights, through Dec. 31, 5-9pm, Stone Zoo, 149 Pond St., Stoneham. Stroll along tree-lined paths lit by thousands of twinkling lights. Meet Santa and his reindeer. Closed Christmas day. $7. 781-438-5100; stonezoo.org.
• Gardens Aglow, through Dec. 22, 5-9pm, Museum and Gardens, 67 Grove St., Sandwich. Stroll the lighted gardens, explore a maze, enjoy a European-style outdoor holiday market and more. Adults, $15; children, $7. 508-888-3300; heritagemuseumsandgardens.org.
• Christmas By Candlelight, Fri-Sun., Dec. 6-22, 4-9pm, Old Sturbridge Village, 1 Old Sturbridge Village Road, Sturbridge. Experience the magic of a candlelit New England village while learning the history of Christmas traditions. $15. 800-733-1830; osv.org.
• Historic Holiday Stroll, Thurs.-Sun. through Jan. 1, 3:30pm, Faneuil Hall ArtsBoston Booth, 4 South Market St., Boston. A 90-minute tour of Boston holiday traditions followed by cocoa, wine and Boston Cream Pie at the Omni Parker House. Adults, $29; children, $19. 617-357-8300; thefreedomtrail.org.
• Christmas Festival of Lights, through Jan. 1, varying times, Edaville USA, 5 Pine St., Carver. Relax on a train as you journey through a spectacular holiday setting featuring an explosion of lights. Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas days. $19. 508-866-8190; edaville.com.
Here’s a roundup of this month’s productions at major theaters and performance centers. Check websites for times not listed below. For information on other productions, check our full calendar.
• Agganis Arena, 925 Commonwealth Ave., Boston. 617-358-7000; agganisarena.com.
Disney on Ice Passport to Adventure, Dec. 19-29, varying dates and times. Join Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Daisy on a journey to magical worlds of The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and more. $32 and up.
• Blackman Auditorium at Northeastern University, 342 Huntington Ave., Boston. blacknativity.org.
Black Nativity, Dec. 13-22, varying dates and times. A celebration that tells the original story of the Nativity in scripture, verse, music and dance. $18 and up.
• Boston Children’s Theatre – Calderwood Pavilion, 527 Tremont St., Boston. 617-424-6634; bostonchildrenstheatre.org. The Velveteen Rabbit, Dec. 7-22, varying dates and times. A delightful story of love, friendship and hope in a performance combining puppetry and actors. $25.
• Coolidge Corner Theatre, 290 Harvard St., Brookline. 617-734-2500; coolidge.org.
Alastair Moock’s Holiday Extravaganza, Dec. 14, 10:30am. In a concert of original tunes and holiday favorites, he’s joined by the Fayerweather Street School Chorus. Adults, $10; children, $8.
CLICK NEXT FOR MORE EVENTS
• The Hanover Theatre, 2 Southbridge St., Worcester. 508-831-0800; thehanovertheatre.org.
A Christmas Celtic Sojourn, Dec. 17, 7:30pm. An enchanting night of Celtic music and dance celebrating the holiday season. $46 and up.
• Norwood Theatre, 109 Central St., Norwood. 781-551-9000; norwoodstage.org.
Holiday Variety Show, Dec. 14, 7:30pm. North Shore Acappella and musical ventriloquist Kevin Driscoll in an evening of classic holiday favorites. $26 and up.
• Reagle Music Theatre, 617 Lexington St., Waltham. 781-891-5600; reaglemusictheatre.org.
Christmas Time, Dec. 6-15, varying dates and times. A Christmas spectacle featuring 200 performers and a full orchestra. $35 and up.
• Regent Theatre, 7 Medford St., Arlington. 781-646-4849; regenttheatre.com.
Ben Rudnick & Friends Holiday Extravaganza, Dec. 14, 10:30am. Ben and friends play everyone’s favorite Christmas and Hanukkah songs. Adults, $10; children, $8.
Sing-Along Sound of Music, Dec. 26-29, varying times. Test your vocal range with several hundred other “nuns” at this fun, interactive show. Adults, $15; children, $12.50.
• Sanders Theatre, 45 Quincy St., Cambridge. 617-496-2222; revels.org.
The Christmas Revels, Dec. 13-27, varying dates and times. A joyous theatrical holiday show filled with music, dance, comedy and carols, this year from Galicia, the Celtic region of Northern Spain. $15 and up.
• Stoneham Theatre, 395 Main St., Stoneham. 781-279-2200; stonehamtheatre.org.
Miracle on 34th Street, through Dec. 29, varying dates and times. Based on the classic film, Kris Kringle stands in for the Macy’s Santa and must convince the doubters. $45 and up.
• Symphony Hall, 301 Massachusetts Ave., Boston. 888-266-1200; bso.org.
Holiday Pops, Dec, 4-24, varying dates and times. Kids matinee performances of the Boston Pops’ annual holiday show with a sing-along and visit from Santa. $30 and up.
• Weston Town Hall, 1 Town House Road, Weston. 617-795-2195; westonfriendly.org.
Irving Berlin’s White Christmas, through Dec. 7, varying dates and times. A musical stage adaptation of the beloved 1954 holiday film, brimming with timeless Irving Berlin hits. $18 and up.
• Wheelock Family Theatre, 200 The Riverway, Boston. 617-879-2300; wheelockfamilytheatre.org.
It’s a Wonderful Life, Dec. 13-22, varying dates and times. Experience this classic as a captivating 1940s radio show, complete with live music, sound effects, an applause sign and a talented ensemble. $20 and up.
For more events, check out our calendar of events.