Chinese New Year Drums Craft
Keep the good times rolling well into the Lunar New Year by helping your kids construct these bright drums. The craft, courtesy of https://lakeshorelearning.com, is perfect for kids 4 to 8 years old.
What You’ll Need:
• Dessert-size paper plates
• Washable glitter tempera paint (red)
• Painting bowls
• Newspaper or butcher paper
• Good Fortune Chinese character template; bit.ly/1OEBuyy
• Glue sticks
• Small jingle bells with holes
• Jumbo craft sticks
• Yarn (cut into 4-inch lengths)
• Hole punch
• Stapler or tape
• Safety scissors
1. Start with two paper plates.
2. Turn the plates upside down on the table and paint the surface of the plates with red paint (cover your workspace with newspaper first).
3. Allow the paint to dry for a few hours.
4. Tape or staple the two plates together so that the red sides of the plates face outward, with a craft stick between the plates as a handle for the drum!
5. Have two copies of the Chinese Character template ready. Cut out the circles and glue one to the outside of each plate.
6. Punch a hole in the outer rim of each side of the plates.
7. Choose two pieces of yarn. Tie a jingle bell to one end of each piece of yarn. Tie the other end through each hole on the plates.
8. Make some noise by turning the handle of the drum rapidly, making the jingle bells beat against the outside of the plates!