8 Foods & Drinks for a Gorgeous Smile
We all know that when it comes to our smiles, what we eat or drink affects our pearly whites. Dentists often recommend limiting sugary sweets that can cause cavities and drinks that may stain your teeth, including coffee and tea. So what’s the secret to a great smile? Celebrity Dentist Dr. Jennifer Jablow shares these must-have additions to your diet for a healthy smile.
1. Apples – Apples keep both the doctor and dentist away! The fibrous texture acts as a natural tooth brush, while the malic acid gently dissolves stains. Apples also contain important antioxidants for your health.
2. Green Tea – This delicious drink contains antioxidants called catechins that may calm down the body's inflammatory response to the bacteria that cause gum disease. A Japanese study showed it lowered the risk of gum disease by drinking one cup a day. Tea stains so drink it iced through a straw to prevent staining your smile!
3. Yogurt – Grab a spoon and dig in! Yogurt contains probiotics which has shown to have a link to helping fight gum disease.
4. Cocoa – Chocolate really is good for you! Substances found in cocoa appear to lessen inflammation and may help protect against erosion and decay. The darker the chocolate the better!
5. Milk – Pour yourself a glass of “moo juice” every day. Calcium helps bone in the jaw that house the teeth.
6. Omega 3 Fatty Acids – We continue to hear about the benefits of Omega 3s to your diet, but did you know they benefit your teeth? Omega 3s help reduce inflammation, which is a hallmark of gum disease. For example, flax seed, fish and fish oil is a good source.
7. Water – Did you know that dry mouth makes your mouth more vulnerable to decay and gum disease? Saliva is 95% water so water is a big help to wash away bacteria and keep the mouth from getting too acidic!
8. Strawberries – This delicious red berry contains a high level of antioxidants and a high level of vitamin C which helps with collagen repair, and they’re not as acidic as citrus fruits.