This time of year, sugar plums (not celery sticks) dance in our heads and willpower dashes off to the North Pole. We tend to sample every yummy treat we encounter and then wonder why we’re feeling sluggish. To prevent holiday overeating:
• When asked to bring a dish to a party, bring something healthy you can eat without guilt.
• Ease up on alcohol to stay in control. Try spiced tea or sparkling water with lemon or a splash of fruit juice.
• Don’t sample every item on the buffet. Pick the best; ignore the rest.
• Limit appetizers, especially dips, cheeses and cream cheese spreads so you can save room for the main course.
• Pick desserts that feature fruit. Even topped with cream, they’re less fattening than other choices.
• Remember that if you overdo it today, all hope is not lost. Just vow to eat more sensibly tomorrow.
By Mary Alice Cookson, associate editor of Boston Parents Paper.