Let’s honor all the Grandmas and Grandpas, Nians and Grampies, Nonnas and Nonnos and Grannies and Gramps on Sept. 8, National Grandparent’s Day. If you’re searching for something to do, try one of these 10 fun activities.
1. Does your Grandpa have a workshop? Ask him to build a birdhouse, a go cart or a doll’s cradle with you.
2. Look at old photo albums to see your grandparents “when they were your age.”
3. Spend the day with them at the zoo, the aquarium, the beach or the park.
4. If your Grandma is a baker, have her show you the secret to making her delicious apple pie or chocolate chip cookies.
5. Have your grandparents teach you their favorite card or board games.
6. Turn up the music and listen to Grandpa’s favorite songs or munch on popcorn while watching Grandma’s favorite movie.
7. Sit down with your grandparents and create a family tree. Ask them to share their favorite family stories.
8. Make your grandparents a collage of family photos.
9. Fill a memory box with your favorite family mementos and treasures. Open it each year on Grandparent’s Day and share why you picked each item.
10. Compile a list of all the reasons why you love your grandparents and frame it for them to hang on the wall.
Written by Cheryl Crosby, Senior Editor of Boston Parents Paper.