Kids Events April 2014
• Boston Red Sox Home Opener, April 6. Will the Red Sox make it to the World Series again this year? Cheer them on as they take on the Phillies in their season’s first home game. Fenway Park, 4 Yawkey Way, Boston; 617-226-6666; redsox.com.
• Shrek The Musical, April 17 – May 24. Based on the irreverent book by William Steig and the award-winning animated film by DreamWorks, this singing, dancing extravaganza about a horrible ogre, a feisty princess and a garrulous donkey explores the relative nature of beauty, the beguiling myth of “happily ever after” and the importance of accepting yourself. Wheelock Family Theatre, 200 The Riverway, Boston; 617-879-2300; wheelockfamilytheatre.org.
• The Diary of Anne Frank, Apr. 18, 19, 25 and 26, and May 2. This poignant play tells the true story of a young Jewish girl in Amsterdam hiding from the Nazis during World War II. Boston Center for the Arts, 527 Tremont St., Boston; 617-933-8600; bostonchildrenstheatre.org.
• Swan Boats, TBA. A sure sign of spring, Boston Public Garden’s famous swan boats make their first appearance of the year. swanboats.com.
• Patriots’ Day, April 20. Parades, pancake breakfasts and historical reenactments fill the weekend leading up to this holiday commemorating the Battles of Lexington and Concord. www.battleroad.org.
• Boston Marathon, April 20. Not a runner? No problem. Just watching the race is exhilarating. Great spots for viewing include the Newton fire station, the brutal Heartbreak Hill and the finish line on Boylston Street near Copley Square in Boston. bostonmarathon.org.