Fireworks burst over Salem Harbor in its annual Fourth of July celebration. Photo by Scott Lanes
by Boston Parents Paper
The annual Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular on the Charles River is a grand event that everyone should experience at least once in a lifetime. But if you aren’t up to braving the crowds and traffic, try one of these other exciting Boston area Fourth of July celebrations. And make sure you check out these fun crafts and decorations kids will love on our Pinterest Board here.
* Boston Harborfest, July 2, various locations, Boston. A Fourth of July festival showcasing the colonial and maritime heritage of Boston with reenactments, concerts, historical tours and much, much more. 617-227-1528; bostonharborfest.com.
* "No Tax on Tea!" A Colonial Tea Tax Debate, July 2, 11am, Old South Meeting House, 310 Washington St., Boston. Join in a re-creation of the fiery debate that started the Boston Tea Party. Free with admission. 617-482-6439; osmh.org.
* City of Somerville Fireworks, July 3, 9pm, Trum Field, 1 Franey Road, Somerville. Celebrate the holiday a day early. FREE. somervillema.gov.
* Whispers of Revolution, July 3, noon and 2pm, Old South Meeting House, 310 Washington St., Boston. Learn about the backroom intrigue involved in the planning of the Boston Tea Party. Free with admission. 617-482-6439; osmh.org.
* Fourth of July in Newton, July 4, 10am – 9pm, various locations, Newton. Kid’s parades and activities in the morning at Newton Centre Playground, followed by rides, entertainment and 9pm fireworks at Albemarle Field. FREE. newtoncommunitypride.org.
* Star Spangled Plymouth, July 4, various locations, Plymouth. Parade at 9:30am beginning at Mayflower Business Park. Fireworks on the waterfront around 9pm. FREE. july4plymouth.com.
* Salem Celebrates the 4th, July 4, 5-10pm, Derby Wharf, Salem. A Pops-style concert, kids play area and fireworks launched over the harbor at 9:15pm. FREE. salem.org.
* City of New Bedford Fireworks Spectacular, July 4, 9pm, Working Waterfront, New Bedford. Fireworks overlooking the waterfront can be viewed from various points throughout downtown. FREE. 508-979-1745; destinationnewbedford.org.
* Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular, July 4, 7:30pm, Hatch Shell, 47 David G Mugar Way, Boston. The Boston Pops perform patriotic anthems with celebrity guests. Breathtaking fireworks follow over the Charles River. FREE. july4th.org.
* Independence Day Celebration, July 4, 9:30am – 10pm, Old Sturbridge Village, 1 Old Sturbridge Village Road, Sturbridge. Festivities include a patriotic citizen’s procession, 1830s-style “base-ball” and a large fireworks display. Free with admission. 800-733-1830; osv.org.
* Happy Birthday USA Family Day, July 4, noon to 4pm, Spellman Museum of Stamps & Postal History, 235 Wellesley St. at Regis College, Weston. Stamp activities, such as stamp hunts, puzzles and games for stamp prizes. Adults, $8; children, $3. 781-768-8367; spellman.org.